Wednesday, March 29, 2017

GO's

I was listening to podcast on PodBean by Alisa Keeton, founder of Revelation Wellness, about Setting Healthy and Whole Goals.  I had an ahh haa moment and wanted to share that with you.

In the above linked podcast Alisa says this, "Don't should on yourself" and it was an awakening for me.  It's no secret what that sounds like when spoken out loud. Here's a picture of my son when he was used as a bird target for the second time in his short life to give you a visual. You know, in case you can't figure out the secret of what that phrase sounds like...



It's also no secret, amongst friends, that I sometimes (eh um) have a potty mouth. So, this one simple statement resonated with me on many levels.

What it means to me:

Don't should on myself. Don't sit around and whine about what I should be doing.

DO IT


I may, may or may not be whining out loud with my "I should's". Most likely I'm just thinking them. Making mental or physical "to do" lists is a favorite pass time of mine.

When the 43 minute pod cast was over, I got up and I went out to the barn. One thing I've been "shoulding on myself" about is cleaning the barn. I have a life long goal of getting to a healthy weight. I have a hard time making time for myself. I know I should make my health a priority. I should take the time to exercise and make healthy meals. But I always have that guilty feeling that spending time on me is a waste of time. I tell myself that I can't go for a walk or yoga or work on muscle building, I have all these other things I should be doing, like cleaning the barn.  I know that cleaning the barn is exercise. Lifting pitchforks of wet hay and sh..I mean poo. Pushing the wheel barrow. Dumping it on the pile. Walking back and forth between poo pile.

I should on myself so long that I then I do nothing. I know I'm not the only one doing this, God says so.

1 Corinthians 10:13 English Standard Version (ESV)
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

While cleaning up real poo, I thought about my poo's I keep shoulding on myself with and goal setting in a way that will get me momentum and less shoulding.

Here is my list I came up with.

1. Consult God - Pray
2. Set clear measurable goals
3. GO

Notice all those the key words have the word GO in them? God, Goals, Go!

I am a multitasker at heart. I can't do just one thing. Other people pick one goal and work on that. Then move on to the next. That's not my style.

So, I've made a dual purpose measurable goal to clean the barn for an hour a day till the winter yuck is under control. Then, work in my new garden area an hour a day until the ground is ready for spring planting. 

Now when I'm sitting around thinking about what I should be doing, I'll stop and think "Don't should on yourself!"

Use your GO's! God, Goals, and GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment